Provide educational instruction through a variety of accepted teaching techniques while employing behavior management strategies that will ensure the effective and efficient implementation of assigned individual students’ IEPs.
1. In cooperation with other members of the school team, assess educational needs and the progress of assigned students.
2. Provide instruction to assigned students in classes of expertise as assigned.
a. Prepare lesson plans suitable to the environment, age group and class mix on the assigned subject area(s).
b. Assist students individually where necessary.
c. Provide assessments of progress to academic goals.
d. Continually look for new approaches to instruction, class content and be responsive to students’ needs.
3. Provide crisis intervention within the classroom setting and apply TCI or approved deescalation techniques appropriate to the situation at hand; ask for assistance when warranted through appropriate procedures and keep other academic and clinical treatment staff appraised of inappropriate behaviors.
4. Create a classroom climate that is positive and supportive for both learning and treatment.
a. Establish and maintain appropriate relationships with students and emphasize student responsibility in the educational program.
b. Recognize student achievement and provide appropriate reinforcement while redirecting and consequenting student misbehavior.
c. Communicate students’ academic and behavioral successes and failures through both written and verbal communication to both fellow educational staff and treatment team staff.
d. Incorporate cultural diversity into all aspects of educational programming and instruction; attend trainings and other educational opportunities to become better informed and respectful of other cultures.
5. Ensure confidentiality regarding students is in compliance with all licensing agencies, company policy, COA and HIPAA guidelines.
6. Develop or assist in developing IEPs, test ability levels and coordinate meetings with other members of the IEP team where appropriate.
7. Attend faculty/staff meetings, IEP staffings and participate in additional meetings and training sessions as required; understand and support the Nexus treatment philosophy and modalities.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Personal Attributes
Education, Credentials and Experience