Perform medical services procedures and protocols that promote resident physical health and well-being, and ensure related staff training.
1. Coordinate the delivery of medical care to residents.
a. Coordinate medical aspects of admissions and ensure completion of annual physical exams. Make necessary follow-up appointments and/or referrals.
b. Coordinate special needs appointments with external physicians and clinics.
c. Collect and assess residents’ medical data in a systematic and ongoing basis, ensuring the medical records are always current.
d. Assess nursing implication of all data pertaining to the resident and determine the need to communicate with the physician.
e. Monitor acute and chronic medical conditions of residents; provide treatment or consultation, as needed.
f. In emergency situations, gather relevant information and provide appropriate care. Direct others as necessary.
2. Collaborate with members of the treatment team to develop Individual Treatment Plans.
a. Serve as a resource to staff on an ongoing basis regarding resident medical issues.
3. Coordinate staff training in CPR, First Aid, medication administration and infection control.
4. Administer bi-annual TB tests and provide Hepatitis and flu vaccines for staff, if applicable.
5. Implement, monitor and coordinate the administration of medications.
a. Administer medications, document and report any side effects to physician.
b. Ensure prescriptions are filled and medical supplies are maintained on all programs.
c. Monitor medication log books for completion and accuracy.
d. Ensure appropriate follow up on all medication errors.
6. Attend and participate in staff meetings and training sessions as required. Understand and support the Nexus philosophy and treatment modalities.
7. Ensure confidentiality regarding client/resident medical background and treatment issues and comply with Nexus policies involving resident privacy and confidentiality rules for residents and their families.
8. Perform other job and work-related responsibilities, tasks and projects as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Personal Attributes